US TAXPAYERS - WHY THEY CAN HIDE NO LONGER AND WHAT THEY CAN DO NOW
15 May 2017
Private Client Breakfast Seminar
Presented by Frank Hirth and Caplin & Drysdale
The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and continuing aggressive action from the US Internal Revenue Service and Department of Justice highlights the uniquely global nature of the US tax system and the information sharing which goes with it. Recently ratified inter-governmental agreements look to give real teeth to the reporting and make it difficult for a ‘US Person’ to avoid their obligations. Despite increased international enforcement there remains much confusion regarding the tax burden placed upon US persons, the steps available to address their past non-compliance, and the planning opportunities available to them.
The Private Client teams at Frank Hirth and Caplin & Drysdale are running a breakfast seminar to discuss the tax implications which advisors should consider for their US clients.
- Learn who is a US person, what their obligations are and the potential sanctions for non-compliance.
- Hear about the global reach of continuing US enforcement and expected impact of newly ratified FATCA inter-governmental agreements on US persons.
- Explore the options for bringing US taxpayers into compliance and whether surrendering citizenship/Green Cards might be an option.
- Discover what can be done where clients do not qualify for any of the offshore disclosure programs or are contacted directly by the IRS in respect of unreported income.
Frank Hirth: Leading US tax accountants and specialists in Streamlined (and other) Offshore Filings.
Caplin & Drysdale: Legal specialists in complex US tax controversy issues; including IRS disclosure options, sensitive civil audits and potential criminal cases.
- Iain Younger, Director - Frank Hirth
- Michael Lewis, Private Client Associate Director - Frank Hirth
- Scott Michel, Member - Caplin and Drysdale
- Mark Matthews, Member - Caplin and Drysdale
This event is free to attend but has limited spaces available. Those spaces will be offered on a first come, first served basis. Click here to book your complimentary space.